Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Monday, June 6, 2011

The World Through the Eyes of Slash Fan (Part III): A Blessing and a Curse

Based on recent events (for those of you who don't want to go look at the pretty picture/ can't tell who they are anyway- it's Robert Pattinson KISSING Taylor Lautner at the MTV movie awards), my roommates and I have concluded that slash fans (otherwise known as "girls who like boys who like boys") are no longer a subculture.

We have moved into the great big world of...culture. WE ARE VICTORIOUS! Seriously though, it's kind of exciting to see that we don't necessarily have to hide anymore.

So yay! We're not exactly freaks who hide in basements and have credos like "the first rule of slashing is that you don't talk about slashing"- because, really, what's the point of slashing if you can't talk and squeal about it with other people who are slashing?

It's fantastic and fun and I love it. We have loads of fun and are some of the most enthusiastic fans you will find.

Unfortunately, I realize that there are some...counterproductive facets to my beloved culture.

Primarily- everything, EVERYTHING, is seen through hot-pink-hued "gay goggles." We can find something to slash in pretty much anything, and we will- rational or not- we will slash it.

This means irritating people around us who are less inclined toward slash. And possibly being banned from speaking during certain things...like Supernatural or X-Men First Class

Now, were I not a 20-something female and was already on in my years and wasn't failing Darwinism 101 and had managed to snag a guy and produce grandchildren for my parents to spoil, being a not-so-closet slash fan probably wouldn't be a problem. Probably. (I know of several really good slashfic authors who fall into the category I just mentioned.)

The sad thing, though, is that I am a 20-something female and I haven't yet passed Darwinism 101 and done above mentioned things.

And I am a not-so-closet slash fan.

What this means, is that on top of trying to convince some unfortunate guy that I'm not a waste of space, said unfortunate guy also has to contend with my gay goggles.

In other words, he would have to put up with me sometimes imagining him with other dudes. If I'm extremely lucky, he'll subscribe to Kinsey and call himself a 90-10 or an 80-20 (or even 50-50!) and it won't really bother him.

If I'm extremely unlucky, he would find out, be completely weirded out, and probably give me the "okay we need to talk" look (the breakup one, not just a "this concerns me and we should discuss it" one...because I would probably end up slashing him for it >_> ).

So, sorry Mom, I think you might have to wait on the grandkids another...couple decades. (At least from me! There's still hope on the younger sibling front!) :D

But, at least I'm in a better situation than one of my friends, who is basically only attracted to gay men. She has better gaydar than you could ever hope to buy from Radio Shack!

0 comments:

Post a Comment