Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What I Learned in Nerd 101

Nerd 101, otherwise known as growing up with my father, taught me a few things that I carry with me still today.

1. Kirk and Spock are nothing without each other.

This is why they are the pairing that spawned "slash" and funny name-smashes for couples (Kock and Spork!!!). Okay...so that explanation has nothing to do with my dad's feelings on the matter...that doesn't make it any less true.

2. Don't sit with your back to a door, as portrayed in Dune.
It's a bad idea- especially if it's open!!! This is why I keep my door closed and I sit facing it. If I didn't an assassin would probably come try to literally stab me in the back.

3. Astronomy is one of the best home schooling classes ever!

Okay, so I wasn't actually home schooled. But one of my favorite memories is learning the names of constellations from my dad.

4. It's completely okay to make your child read a sci-fi or fantasy novel even though they don't want to- even if you've never read it!
So, when I was in junior high my parents gave me The Hobbit and Dune for Christmas. I was thrilled to get books- it meant my parents were accepting and encouraging my nerd side! I had never heard of Dune, and was reluctant to read it because it was 500-some pages. But my dad said it was a must-read, so I read it. I sort of enjoyed it...some of the ideas and points of it are okay (see above where one of my greatest life lessons comes from it), but mostly I was bored and just wanted it to be over.
I later found out that my dad had never read the book, and simply said he'd read it so I would finish it. Thanks Dad...really.

5. It is perfectly acceptable to quote nerdy things even though the people around you have no idea what you're talking about.
Actually, this is encouraged. This way you get to feel really smart and call other people losers for not knowing something.

...I'm done now.

0 comments:

Post a Comment