Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Lord of the Rings

Every year I try to marathon The Lord of the Rings- preferably the extended editions.

Now, I really appreciate the actual book and have read it several times. But there's something about these movies that's just...wonderful.

I was in seventh grade when the first one (Fellowship) came out. The series pretty much ruled my life through tenth grade (though the Harry Potter series managed to break through whenever a new book or movie was released).

Now, why the extended editions? Most people think the theatrical releases were painful enough at just under three hours for the first two and three-and-a-half hours for the last one. I think it's summed up best in Clerks 2: the first one is all walking, the second one is walking with a little bit of tripping on a pothole, and the third one is walking until they throw the ring away.

I laugh every time I see that part because I disagree so completely while it's actually kind of true.

Anyway, I never had a problem with the length of the movie (aside from needing to run to the bathroom twice if I had too much pop).

Oh God, Merry and Pippin!!!! Sometimes I forget how much I love these movies.

There's just something about the extended versions that add the poetic aspect of the books. It's pretty much the reason people stop reading the books- they can't stand the pages of verse. But it's lovely and shows the wonderful softness of Middle Earth rather than the harsh wartime feelings.

That's kind of the point right? It's a gigantic anti-war, believe in yourself, depend on your friends, and for the love of all things ignore your selfish desires tale of caution?

I kind of love it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment