Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Friday, December 3, 2010

Populism is Alive (Or, why Misha Collins is going to take over the world)

Voting- a privilege. We get to elect our leaders based on how well they match up to our own ideas for a national plan. Research, comparisons, watching debates, and reading interviews- months go by for the responsible voter as they select the candidate that suits them best.

Or, we could just accept that populism is alive and well.

I'm going to use good Ole Wikipedia for a definition of populism (technically, the definition comes from Daniel A. Smith's Tax crusaders and the politics of direct democracy, I haven't read it...but I like this definition).

Populism: any political discourse that appeals to the general mass of the population, to the "people" as such, regardless of class distinctions and political partisanship - "a folksy appeal to the 'average guy' or some allegedly general will"

Thank you, Daniel A. Smith.

So, populism- truly "for the people, by the people" shit going on there.

Now that you understand what I mean by "populism," I can begin to explain why I believe that Misha Collins is fully capable of taking over the world.

Misha, known widely for his role as the angel Castiel on the TV show Supernatural, is slowly gaining more and more fans. (Ironically, Misha's lead role was developed- in large part- by fan demand. Populism FTW.)

His fans, known as minions, are working to help him conquer the world- his constant Twitter updates (often consisting of ridiculous statements and even more ridiculous photos) only endear him more to his loyal band of followers.

His recent political activism (The LA Tea Party) has garnered even more public attention. Not only drawing more support from his fans, but sufficiently shedding light on the ridiculousness of the Tea Party by hosting a real tea party one sunny day.

And his new(ish, it's "birthday" is today actually) non-profit organization, The Random Act, has a mission statement advertising their desire to "Take over the world, one random act of kindness at a time."

Why am I listing these things off? Because I believe this is the perfect basis for his global takeover. His fans love him and will go to the ends of the earth (and probably the known universe if they have the resources) to support his crazy ideas- because most of the time they're good...or ridiculously funny.

Now, this isn't even a localized occurrence. His fans cover the globe (I really wanted to write the word "plague" here, but I don't consider it a plague...).

The best part? He knows it. He knows that he has these kinds of resources, so he continues to engage them. It's brilliant.

So, basically, I think Mr. Collins here has a perfectly good chance at taking over the world. And, though it goes against my own plans for world domination, I will gladly support him should he focus on doing so.

0 comments:

Post a Comment