Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The Best of Movies

I've seen a lot of movies in my 21 years. My memory for movies is one of my more freakish skills.

So, when I say that I've picked a favorite movie, I mean that it has to be f***ing spectacular.

Now, before I name "The Best" movie, I feel I should make a list of movies that I almost never say 'no' to watching:

* Beauty and the Beast
* Blood Diamond
* Up
* The Last Samurai
* The Ten Commandments
* Cinderella Man
* The Princess Bride
* The Shawshank Redemption
* The Lion King
* Spirited Away


I love all of these movies- each one has something that just sets it apart from others. The acting, the cinematography, the music, the lighting, the script- something is just absolutely perfect and it keeps me coming back again and again.

Each movie has a subtlety to it that I adore.

Now, I tend to get a lot of crap for my choice in favorite movie. That being said, the movie I'm about to name is, in my opinion, one of the movies that just hits it home in each of the categories I listed above.

The winner is: Gladiator

I could lose this movie a hundred times and I would rebuy it each time. I can quote it nearly word-for-word. The only time I would ever refuse to watch it is when it's on TV and they'll edit stuff because I think it should never change.

It's brilliant.

The acting is phenomenal:
-Russell Crowe is amazing. He has this perfect combination of roughness and softness that just emphasizes how badass Maximus is.
-Richard Harris is Richard Harris. Nuff said. He might not be in much of the movie, but his portrayal of Marcus Aurelius is spectacular.
-Joaquin Phoenix is just plain creepy. And he doesn't have to be. His character is sleazy and it makes me shudder just to think about him.
-Connie Nielsen is perfect. She brings out the strength in her character. She makes this character earn what was written for her.
-Djimon Hounsou needs to be in more movies. I am always thrilled to see him in movies because his skills as an actor just keep getting stronger. Like the main cast, he can bring out that dichotomy of emotions that just makes a character jump to life.

Of course, the rest of the cast does a spectacular job. Derek Jacobi (Proximo), Tommy Flanagan (Cicero), and Spencer Clark (Lucius) all have strong performances.

But, like any good machine, it needs all the pieces to fall into play. The actors are the wheels but without the proper axis and washers to keep them aligned and turning, it would all fall apart.

The screenplay for this movie is brilliant.
I still get chills every time I hear "And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next."
I live my life by the quote "What we do in life echoes in eternity."
I tear up when I think "Is Rome worth one good man's life? We believed it once, make us believe it again."

Aside from simply poetic, the writers get creative. Gladiator strikes a lot of people as a "man's movie." I'm inclined to agree since most of my female friends get this blank look whenever I mention it and their eyes do that glazed over thing.

It never stops me from trying to get them to watch it with me.

Who doesn't want to watch the Germanic barbarians get roasted in a forest? Or a guy throw a sword end-over-end with his hands tied? Or a guy's head get cut off by two swords that had previously been stabbed into his chest?

Seriously. The action in this movie is fantastic! I used to try to learn the battle choreography just so I could better appreciate it.

There's also this clever ongoing scene where Maximus is walking through a field. It's so subtle, the way it represents how close he is to death and happiness. And the way they filmed it gives it the ethereal feel.

Music. I love it. This movie has nearly all instrumental music, but it totally doesn't matter. I keep the soundtrack in my car and put it in whenever I need a really good pick-me-up. And the few tracks that have vocals are awesome. It's soft and haunting and harsh and energetic. Hans Zimmer is brilliant.

And the rest:
*The camerawork is beautiful. They made fantastic filming decisions.
*The locations are fantastic.
*The lighting is gorgeous. It just emphasizes not only the beauty but this gritty quality of the locations.
*Costuming and makeup- well done. I believe pretty much everything.

Excuse me while I go watch it. Writing about it always makes me excited to watch it again!

That's why Gladiator is, hands down, the best movie IMO.

1 comment:

  1. I still haven't seen Blood Diamond. We should watch it sometime. And The Shawshank Redemption. That too. Also, I agree with everything you said, but if you substitute Gladiator with Lord of the Rings :p But I do enjoy Gladiator...though I haven't watched it since I was like 11

    ReplyDelete