Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dr. Seuss affirms my major

Recently, a friend of mine wrote saying that I was becoming a "Lorax of day to day humor."

I had no idea what a Lorax was. But I'm a proud person who will never admit they don't know something. (Unless I don't want to speak to the person referencing it- saying I don't know what they're talking about is a pretty good way to shut them up).

So, I Googled it.

I wasn't too surprised to come up with a Wikipedia article about a Dr. Seuss book. I figured it was either that or some crazy Dark Crystal or Neverending Story reference I had forgotten.

I read up on the summary of The Lorax and the controversy it caused in its day (1988- good year). I wanted to know if being a Lorax was a good or a bad thing.

But it wasn't enough. I had to read this book to make my own assessment of this character. I had to know.

So, using my local library (actually, it was my campus library), I found a copy of this book.

Honestly, though it's 40 years old, it affirms the reason for the existence of my major.

The Lorax is wonderful! It hits on all the stubborn points that people try to ignore about pollution and human influence on climate change.

Seriously. It hits on the corporate greed and how people don't consider how they're affecting the planet because "They're providing a service for people."

It's got the "trickle-down effect" of factories and how they don't just affect the trees they're cutting down- they destroy the air and the water and the lives of all the animals that also use those resources.

Basically, it's kind of made me love my major more. Because I'm not only the Lorax, I'm the little boy at the end. I have to take it upon myself and others must take it upon themselves to change things now.
Before everything leaves.
Before the trees are gone.
Before the Brown bar-ba-loots and Swamee-Swans and Humming Fish are forced to abandon their homes.

So yes. The Lorax. I like it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment