Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

On being a heater

I grew up in Minnesota. I live in Minnesota. I spent the majority of my weekends until college in hockey arenas. I go to the Minnesota State High School League hockey tournament every year with my family.

Needless to say, I don't mind cold weather. In fact, I kind of love it- it's much more comfortable than nasty, hot, sticky weather.

Until last night, I assumed it was my excess weight that kept me nice and toasty through the winter months. I don't have a higher-than-average body temperature or anything so I never questioned it.

Now? I'm not so sure.

The basement at my house is kind of cold- it's in the ground so there's not much going on down there. The heaters take too long to warm up the rooms to enjoy them without turning them on a couple hours in advance.

So, when Friday nights roll around and we all gather together to watch the new episode of Supernatural, I just pull out blankets for everyone.

Except last night.

Last night, one of my roommates was too flaily to actually do anything. It's amazing how flailing can disrupt ones life.

Anyway, she was too ridiculously preoccupied to get herself a blanket.

As the show came on, she was sitting next to me. This wasn't unusual- we all kind of just cram in wherever possible.

But by commercial break one she was completely against me, and I had to ask "Are you just using me for my body heat?"

She looked a little ashamed but laughed "Is it that obvious?"

We all had a good laugh about it, and went back to watching our show.

But I started thinking.

People have always commented on how warm my hands are. I rarely wear gloves because keeping them in my pockets has always done a good enough job. I have Super!Circulation or something I guess.

One person described my internal temperature as the core of a volcano.

This made me wonder- is the rest of my body as abnormally warm as my hands? Based on her actions? I'm gonna go with yes.

So, at commercial break number 3 I asked "Does this seriously make a difference?" I put my hand on her arm and she said that it did.

Then I tested one of my former roommates and a friend of mine. I put my hand on each of their legs and both of them said it made a difference too.

I guess this was actually an invitation to become the personal heater for these three people.

And that's how I ended up cuddling with one of my roommates with two sets of feet on my back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment