Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Shower Conversations

I don't know if y'all do this, but I have conversations with myself in the shower.

It's the time when I discuss things with myself that I generally don't feel necessary to bring up to people. I also have arguments with imaginary versions of people who are irritating me.

Recently, I had a conversation with myself about the differences in BC, BCE, AD 1, AD 2, and CE.

I'm a history major- these things matter.

So, the competitors are:
BC- Before Christ
BCE- Before Christian Era
AD 1- Anno Domini
AD 2- After Death
CE- Christian Era

Mostly, I wanted to determine which I would personally use- they all mean the same thing; the BC ones measure before year zero and the rest are post-year zero.

History uses BCE and CE.

I determined that I support the use of BCE. It makes total and complete sense over BC- As the last few years of BCE Jesus was alive and thus it can't really be Before Christ.

It's the other ones that really concern me.

Of course understand why AD became After Death- it's easier to remember and mostly makes sense. Except that you would technically have to start counting somewhere between 25- 32 AD (I'm not gonna put a specific date here since it's kind of up in the air).

Now, I also mostly support CE. Christian Era is fairly legit...except that they weren't technically called Christians for a while.

Which brings me to my point of why I support calling it Anno Domini.

Since Jesus wasn't really knowledgeable of his divinity until around year zero (he acknowledges God as his father somewhere around then), he kind of wasn't really "Our Lord" yet. Thus making Anno Domini, "The Year of Our Lord," make total sense to begin there.

But that's where the political part of me is like "Just use CE because it's so much more politically correct."

Ultimately, I got out of the shower thinking that the historians probably made a good move in the BCE and CE notations.

Good for them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment