Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Dear America...get over yourself

I'm currently taking a global issues course, and we're focusing on the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). (See the site: UN Millennium Development Goals)

The MDGs were set to try and achieve awesome things:
* End Poverty and Hunger
* Universal Education
* Gender Equality
* Child Health
* Maternal Health
* Combat HIV/AIDS
* Environmental Sustainability
* Global Partnership

Each of these is hugely important and wonderful goals. It's shameful that these things haven't been taken care of.

Granted, there's a lot that would have to go into these. People would have to *gasp* care about another person and give up something of themselves- whether it be time, money, or otherwise.

I know how easy it is to forget that my problems aren't the be all end all of the universe. I too rant about how my professors hate me, and my car AC doesn't work, and damn is it hot/cold in the library!

But this isn't an excuse. Just because I have that excuse doesn't mean I should actually use it.

Most of the issues listed can actually be helped if people would take five minutes to consider the issues. If people would take five hours, five days, five years...imagine what could be done with those combined resources?

Today we were discussing poverty in America.

...wait...what? Poverty doesn't exist in America you crazy liberal wombat. (Side note: how sad is it that Australia is flooding?)

Anyway, yes, poverty exists. Delude yourself as much as you'd like- it's everywhere.

We were discussing Western culture, and it's emphasis on individualism. This concept isn't new. It really goes all the way back to "Bible Days," and there's nothing wrong with it.

Excepting when people take this as an excuse to look out only for themselves.

There were three people in class that I think were really frustrating other students; at least, I hope they were- they were really irritating me.

I try not to stereotype too often, but I couldn't help but hear them, look at their clothes, and automatically single them out as privileged.

They were all white, all wearing brand clothing, all well-groomed.

And they sit there advocating the right of the wealthy to do whatever they want with their money.

I can only assume that they're from privileged households and have never given consideration to anything other than the jeans they're wearing. Which is awful of me, but they should probably consider what they're saying if they don't want people to judge them.

What right do we have to tell them what to do with their money? None, obviously, or we wouldn't have this problem.

They do work just like everybody else, and are entitled to just compensation.

I'm not saying people shouldn't have things, and I'm not saying people don't deserve to have things they've worked for.

All I'm saying is that we need to become a nation of givers. At the risk of sounding cheesy- it doesn't matter if you can give one dollar or a million. All that matters is that you're helping contribute.

The "American Dream" of that nice perfect family? Mom, dad, 2.5 kids, dog, 1.9 cars, house, and a white-picket fence- complete and utter bullshit.

Sure, we all want a nice life. House, maybe a family, space to call our own. But do we realize that these things come at a high cost for others?

Because it's not just about giving. This is about reshaping the mentality of America. It's a country that believes in freedom and possibility and happiness.

It's true, organization is key to these things helping. Making sure that nothing is going to be abused or wasted is crucial to this working. It's true that it will take a lot of work.

But organizations are already in place- they're waiting for people to step up and support them.

It's not enough to make $7.2 million annually and give a thousand dollars to charity when 7.2 million jobs are nonexistent because your corporation decided to go the cheaper route.

But I think what I want to stress most is that it's not enough to just give. It's awesome. It needs to happen. But it doesn't do anything if you don't care enough about the problem to go out and do something about it.

We need to care. If it's supporting a kid, volunteering at a shelter, whatever. Just do something.

I really want to believe in the people around me. I really want to believe that people will care about other people.

...I'm going to go grumble about this to my roommates. Hopefully they don't kill me.

EDIT: I realized I should hedge some more and give you guys some links to places. Maybe I can make a little difference today.

Queensland Flood Relief
Random Acts
UN MDG Donation Information
UNICEF

2 comments:

  1. Maddi, this is really freaking awesome and well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tricia lol
    AHA! I added a reply option! Thanks so much Tricia! I'm glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete