Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Friday, January 7, 2011

I like the outdoors...really I do!

I realized today that I spend 90% of my time talking about movies and TV. It's sad really.

I'm an environmental studies major...I should probably talk a lot about environmental issues. Except that I'm in a huge habit of not doing this.

My family never discusses work and none of my friends would find what I have to say interesting. We stick to psychology mostly, since all of us have taken psych and understand the basic concepts.

But really, I do enjoy nature. I wouldn't be an ES major otherwise right?

I realize I'm not as outgoing or enthusiastic about a specific issue like the other people in my ES classes. But that doesn't mean I don't care.

So, here's where I show what a privileged child I was and explain why I love nature.

My parents grew up with summers at the lake. They enjoyed their experience so much they made owning a lake cabin (to later retire to) a priority.

Thus, I also grew up with summer at the lake.

It's one of the best places on Earth. "Minnesota Nice" actually exists there.

When people go to the lake, they escape from their suckish jobs and the grumpy people around them and just get to relax.

The lake is glorious. There's water and animals and woods and rivers. One of my favorite things to do is go for a walk in the woods, and swim in the lake with my cousins.

It's places like Itasca and Glacier state parks that only enforce my love of nature.

And I realize the threat to these places. When we drive to the lake, and go on the boat or the jet ski, I understand that we're hurting the place we hold dear.

So, that being said, I really do care...and I urge all of you to buy a Nalgene and stop drinking bottled water.

0 comments:

Post a Comment