Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Some things never change

I could wax poetic about how there are some things that will always be consistent in our lives, and no matter what we can count on them being the same.

Unfortunately, the things that never change tend to be the more superficial, awful moments of life- like junior high.

But I'm going to tell you a little about lunchrooms.

When I was in elementary school, we were filed in, and forced to sit next to people. No seat was left vacant.

Around seventh grade we're finally allowed to start sitting in groups of friends rather than just next to whichever unfortunate classmate we were standing in line with.

In high school, it becomes a madhouse trying to find enough vacant seats together with your friends.

College? Same exact thing.

There are always those sad loners doing homework. The seemingly unwashed group that tends to be the largest of the groups somehow.

Then the groups of four or five that are just super unfortunate. They're an awkward size so they can't occupy just a small table, but they will have to share a large table with another unfortunately sized group.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I eat lunch in one of these groups of four. Fortunately, there are about 10 tables that will seat four, five if you feel like squeezing a little. Most of the tables are either six or eight-person tables.

I get to the dining center half an hour early to secure one of these small tables, because one of the girls has a thing about people "invading our space."

It's nice. I don't have to fight my way through the swarms of people that eat right after their 10:30 class, and sometimes I manage to do productive things. (Blogging is productive, right?)

But I find it interesting that lunchroom politics haven't changes a wink since elementary school. It's weird that we're supposed to be social beings, but we're decidedly asocial.

Then there's the life or death battle to get food and tables! It's ridiculous.

But yeah, lunch time. It will always be there for us. And it will never change.

0 comments:

Post a Comment