Why I have a blog...

There are two goals in mind for this blog:
1.In the style of Allie Brosh (hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com), I'm hoping that I can simply become famous before I graduate so I never have to decide on a real career.
2. Let's prove the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory right! If you like what I write, tell a friend, and have them tell a friend, until all the friends everywhere have been notified.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Wednesday

As promised, this will be about yesterday. I was supposed to attend a conference on the Red River and the watersheds attached to it that affect the flood patterns. (Yeah...we really like our floods here.)

This conference started at 8 am. I usually wake up at 9 and snooze until 9:50. Yesterday I woke up at 7.

Now, I'm completely capable of waking up at 7. It doesn't suck too bad if it's more than one day in a row- but one day in an entire school year? WTF is that shit?

Not to mention that I didn't actually get to bed until 1:30 because I kept watching these f***ers. Thanks so much, Bobbie.

Anyway, I've discovered that the worst part of waking up at 7 is that you're usually the first one to shower in my dorm. That being said, the water is frickin' cold.
I tend to cower in fear the first thirty seconds the water is running because I know it's so cold.

Then I spend 30 seconds under the hot water before doing anything. Because, apparently, standing in a shower naked while cold water is just running- not even on me- is just as cold as a -30 degree windchill (Fahrenheit...that's somewhere around -34 Celsius). I dunno. All I know is that it sucked balls.

Then I had to walk the ten minute walk to the science building in said -30 degree windchill. That's a lie, actually, I took the sky-way so I was only outside for like...two minutes- but that's still cold time!

Now, I was going with one of my professors, and we don't particularly get along. Mostly it's due to the fact that we have nothing to talk about that isn't the class, some of it's due to the fact that I think she's awkward.

Carpooling with nothing to say? Yeah, that just thrills me. At least the ride was only about 15 minutes, one time I drove 3.5 hours with loads of "nothing to say" tension. (Those are the times I'm glad I always keep a CD of bad music to sing along to. Usually it's 90s shit that whoever I'm riding with will remember and be just as embarrassed about having liked it. Other times I bust out "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion- the Titanic song?- and we just sing along obnoxiously. It's a good ice-breaker!)

Anyway, so this conference is all about flooding. I sat through 12 different lectures, 5 of which all showed the exact same graph.

I ended up working on some fanfiction to keep myself occupied.

I was thrilled when the hour lunch break came up. There was a Buffalo Wild Wings like...four minutes away on foot, so at least I got to have some good food. (My prof said we could eat there if some people didn't use their lunch passes...chicken wings or ham sandwich? Sorry, I chose chicken.)

During that time I made a point to text my roommate. She was on-call to save me.

I lasted until 3:30. I was supposed to be free at 2:30, but they added another speaker and it went over by half an hour. When they asked for questions I literally dropped my head into my hands and my eyes teared up. It was so painful it nearly drove me to cry in public.

After that I immediately called for rescue. I bribed her shamelessly, and she came to get me.

I ran out to her car, immediately telling her to floor it.

We went to Starbucks- Bobbie and Becca's reward for getting me the hell out of there- to get coffee and thermoses.

Oddly enough, neither of their cards work. So I ended up saving them by buying their thermoses! It was funny- they saved me and I saved them.

Then I had the misfortune of having a night class.

Three hours once a week, I go and pretend that this isn't the third stats class I've taken. It's painful. Not to mention it makes me have to wait a day to see the new Modern Family episode.

I felt bad last night, I wasn't even pretending to be paying attention. At least, I wasn't paying much attention. But after my prof mentioned driving through Lawrence, Kansas with his two kids I was completely gone on a Supernatural La-La-Land tangent.

So yeah, it was an interesting day. Basically, I just want it to be the weekend again so I can pretend this didn't happen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment